DEL SOL, M. and OLAVE, E.
Abstract : The xiphoid process is the smallest and variable part of the sternum. On basis of different studies performed it can present different shaped. The aim of this study was to determine the morphologic characteristics of the xiphoid process on 50 sternum of adult mapuche individuals obtained from necropsies. The xiphoid process was bifid in 42% of cases, with a spatula shape in 38%, in ovals and ellipsoid shapes in 10% and other forms in 10%. Their maximal diameters average were: vertical 38mm, lateral-lateral 21.9mm and anterior-posterior 2.3mm. Respect to their orientation the xiphoid process presented: without bent in 32% of cases, bent to the left in 24%, bent to the ventral part in 16%, bent to the right in 10% and bent to the dorsal part in 4%. Other combinations (14%). In 12% of cases the presented a foramen. In 58% of cases the xiphoid process was jointed only with the most posterior region of the inferior part of the sternum body. Our study proves the morphological variability of the xiphoid process verifying observations in other ethnic groups
Keywords: Sternum; Anatomy; Physical Anthropology; Mapuche ethnic group.
Rev. chil. anat., 1998, vol.16, no.1, p.101-106. Full text available in Spanish.