Belonging to the front part; being in front; especially.
(Science: anatomy) .
Of or pertaining to the forehead or the anterior part of the roof of the brain case; as, the frontal bones.
Origin: cf. F. Frontal.
1. Something worn on the forehead or face; a frontlet; as: An ornamental band for the hair.
The metal face guard of a soldier.
2. A little pediment over a door or window.
3. A movable, decorative member in metal, carved wood, or, commonly, in rich stuff or in embroidery, covering the front of the altar. Frontals are usually changed according to the different ceremonies.
4. (Science: medicine) a medicament or application for the forehead.
5. (Science: anatomy) The frontal bone, or one of the two frontal bones, of the cranium. Frontal hammer or helve, a forge hammer lifted by a cam, acting upon a tongue immediately in front of the hammer head.
Origin: f. Frontal, fronteau, OF. Frontel, frontal, L. Frontale an ornament for the forehead, frontlet. See front.