1. The act of inclining, or state of being inclined; a leaning; as, an inclination of the head.
2. A direction or tendency from the true vertical or horizontal direction; as, the inclination of a column, or of a road bed.
3. A tendency towards another body or point
4. (Science: geometry) The angle made by two lines or planes; as, the inclination of the plane of the earth’s equator to the plane of the ecliptic is about 23 deg 28′; the inclination of two rays of light.
5. A leaning or tendency of the mind, feelings, preferences, or will; propensity; a disposition more favorable to one thing than to another; favor; desire; love. A mere inclination to a thing is not properly a willing of that thing. (South) How dost thou find the inclination of the people? (Shak)
6. A person or thing loved or admired.
7. (Science: pharmacology) decantation, or tipping for pouring. Inclination compass, an inclinometer.
(Science: astronomy) inclination of an orbit, the angle which the orbit makes the ecliptic. Inclination of the needle. See dip of the needle, under dip.
Synonym: bent, tendency, proneness, bias, proclivity, propensity, prepossession, predilection, attachment, desire, affection, love. See bent, and cf. Disposition.
Origin: L. Inclinatio: cf. F. Inclination.