1. The act of binding.
2. Anything that binds; a Band or bandage.
3. (Science: surgery) a thread or string for tying the blood vessels, particularly the arteries, to prevent hemorrhage. A thread or wire used to remove tumours, etc.
4. The state of being bound or stiffened; stiffness; as, the ligature of a joint.
5. Impotence caused by magic or charms.
6. A curve or line connecting notes; a slur.
7. A double character, or a type consisting of two or more letters or characters united, as ae,
(Science: surgery) to ligate; to tie.