Origin: Cf. F. Nationalite.
1. The quality of being national, or strongly attached to one’s own nation; patriotism.
2. The sum of the qualities which distinguish a nation; national character.
3. A race or people, as determined by common language and character, and not by political bias or divisions; a nation. the fulfillment of his mission is to be looked for in the condition of nationalities and the character of peoples. (H. W. Beecher)
4. Existence as a distinct or individual nation; national unity and integrity.
5. The state or quality of belonging to or being connected with a nation or government by nativity, character, ownership, allegiance, etc.