1. The state or quality of being neutral; the condition of being unengaged in contests between others; state of taking no part on either side; indifference. Men who possess a state of neutrality in times of public danger, desert the interest of their fellow subjects. (Addison)
2. Indifference in quality; a state neither very good nor bad.
3. (Science: chemistry) The quality or state of being neutral. See Neutral.
4. The condition of a nation or government which refrains from taking part, directly or indirectly, in a war between other powers.
5. Those who are neutral; a combination of neutral powers or states. Armed neutrality, the condition of a neutral power, in time of war, which holds itself ready to resist by force any aggression of either belligerent.
Origin: Cf. F. Neutralite.