noun, singular: paravertebral ganglion
(1) Ganglia situated along the vertebral column.
(2) Ganglia on each side of the vertebrae that are connected forming the sympathetic trunk.
Sympathetic ganglia can be divided into two major groups based on their location:
- paravertebral ganglia
- prevertebral ganglia
In vertebrates, the paravertebral ganglia are as follows:
- ganglia of sympathetic trunk
- ganglia trunci sympathici
- sympathetic chain ganglia
Compare: prevertebral ganglia
See also: sympathetic ganglia