Species of the genus Providencia most frequently isolated from nosocomial infections of human urinary system and severe burns
P. stuartii is distinguished from other clinically important Providencia species such as P. alcalifaciens and P. rettgeri through biochemical tests:
- urease test: variable results from different strains
- phenylalanine deaminate test: positive
- gas from glucose fermentation: negative
- P. stuartii
- Providencia stuartii Ewing 1962
Compare (with other clinically important Providencia spp.):
- Cheesbrough M. 2006. Microbiological Tests. In: District laboratory practice in tropical countries. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p 189.
- Vasanthakumari R. 2007. Enterobacteriaceae. In: Textbook of Microbiology. New Delhi: BI Publications Pvt Ltd. p 266.