1. The point or extremity of anything; a pointed or somewhat sharply rounded end; the end; as, the tip of the finger; the tip of a spear. To the very tip of the nose. (Shak)
2. An end piece or part; a piece, as a cap, nozzle, ferrule, or point, applied to the extreme end of anything; as, a tip for an umbrella, a shoe, a gas burner, etc.
3. A piece of stiffened lining pasted on the inside of a hat crown.
4. A thin, boarded brush made of camel’s hair, used by gilders in lifting gold leaf.
5. Rubbish thrown from a quarry.
Origin: Akin to D. & Dan. Tip, LG. & Sw. Tipp, G. Zipfel, and probably to E. Tap a plug, a pipe.