1. The mark or impression of something; stamp; impressed sign; emblem.
2. Form or character impressed; style; semblance.
3. A figure or representation of something to come; a token; a sign; a symbol; correlative to antitype.
4. That which possesses or exemplifies characteristic qualities; the representative.
(Science: biology) Specifically: A general form or structure common to a number of individuals; hence, the ideal representation of a species, genus, or other group, combining the essential characteristics; an animal or plant possessing or exemplifying the essential characteristics of a species, genus, or other group. Also, a group or division of animals having a certain typical or characteristic structure of body maintained within the group.
(Science: chemistry) A simple compound, used as a mode or pattern to which other compounds are conveniently regarded as being related, and from which they may be actually or theoretically derived.
The fundamental types used to express the simplest and most essential chemical relations are hydrochloric acid, HCl; water, H2O; ammonia, NH3; and methane, CH4.
5. A raised letter, figure, accent, or other character, cast in metal or cut in wood, used in printing. Such letters or characters, in general, or the whole quantity
of them used in printing, spoken of collectively; any number or mass of such letters or characters, however disposed.
Origin: F. Type; cf. It. Tipo, from L. Typus a figure, image, a form, type, character, Gr. The mark of a blow, impression, form of character, model, from the root of to beat, strike; cf. Skr. Tup to hurt.