(1) Valsalva maneuver: a forced exhalation against a closed airway.
(2) Valsalva, Antonio Maria (1666-1723): an Italian physician and anatomist, who first described the maneuver and its use to expel pus from the middle ear.
The medical uses of Valsalva includes the following:
- as a diagnostic tool to test heart conditions and to identify any abnormal heart rhythms
- a means to ‘clear’ the ears and sinuses
- an aid to patients with multiple sclerosis to help them fully empty their bladder
- a method to help men prevent premature ejaculation
Compare: Müller maneuver