1. The act of seeing or beholding; sight; look; survey; examination by the eye; inspection. Thenceforth I thought thee worth my nearer view. (milton) Objects near our view are thought greater than those of a larger size are more remote. (locke) Surveying nature with too nice a view. (Dryden)
2. Mental survey; intellectual perception or examination; as, a just view of the arguments or facts in a case. I have with exact view perused thee, Hector. (Shak)
3. Power of seeing, either physically or mentally; reach or range of sight; extent of prospect. The walls of Pluto’s palace are in view. (Dryden)
4. That which is seen or beheld; sight presented to the natural or intellectual eye; scene; prospect; as, the view from a window. ‘T is distance lends enchantment to the view. (Campbell)
5. The pictorial representation of a scene; a sketch, ither drawn or painted; as, a fine view of lake George.
6. Mode of looking at anything; manner of apprehension; conception; opinion; judgment; as, to state one’s views of the policy which ought to be pursued. To give a right view of this mistaken part of liberty. (locke)
7. That which is looked towards, or kept in sight, as object, aim, intention, purpose, design; as, he did it with a view of escaping. No man sets himself about anything but upon some view or other which serves him for a reason. (locke)
8. Appearance; show; aspect. Graces which, by the splendor of her view Dazzled, before we never knew. (waller) field of view. See field. Point of view. See Point. To have in view, to have in mind as an incident, object, or aim; as, to have one’s resignation in view. View halloo, the shout uttered by a hunter upon seeing the fox break cover. View of frankpledge, the inspection by the jury of the place where a litigated transaction is said to have occurred.
Origin: OF. Veue, F. Vue, fr. OF. Veoir to see, p. P. Veu, F. Voir, p. P. Vu, fr. L. Videre to see. See Vision, and cl. Interview, Purview, Review, Vista.
The range of interest or activity that can be anticipated; It is beyond the horizon of present knowledge.The visual percept of a region; the most desirable feature of the park are the beautiful views.