1. Salutation to a newcomer. Welcome ever smiles.
2. Kind reception of a guest or newcomer; as, we entered the house and found a ready welcome. His warmest welcome at an inn. (Shenstone) Truth finds an entrance and a welcome too. (south) To bid welcome, to receive with professions of kindness. To thee and thy company I bid A hearty welcome. (Shak)
1. Received with gladness; admitted willingly to the house, entertainment, or company; as, a welcome visitor. When the glad soul is made Heaven’s welcome guest. (Cowper)
2. Producing gladness; grateful; as, a welcome present; welcome news. O, welcome hour!
3. Free to have or enjoy gratuitously; as, you are welcome to the use of my library.
Welcome is used elliptically for you are welcome. ”Welcome, great monarch, to your own.
(Science: botany) ” Welcome-to-our-house, a kind of spurge (euphorbia Cyparissias).
Origin: OE. Welcome, welcume, wilcume, AS. Wilcuma a welcome guest, from wil-, as a prefix, akin to willa will – cuma a comer, fr. Cuman to come; hence, properly, one who comes so as to please another’s will; cf. Icel. Velkominn welcome, G. Willkommen. See Will, and Come.