1. An instrument, formerly much used for showing the time of day from the shadow of a style or gnomon on a graduated... Read More
1. The celestial orb which revolves round the earth; the satellite of the earth; a secondary planet, whose light,... Read More
1. Of or pertaining to the universe; extending to, including, or affecting, the whole number, quantity, or space;... Read More
1. First in order of time; original; primeval; primitive; primary. Prime forests. She was not the prime cause, but I... Read More
How Everything Works: Making Physics Out of the Ordinary
... Read More
1. To dig away, or otherwise remove, the substratum or foundation of; to lay a mine under; to sap; to undermine; hence,... Read More
1. Of or pertaining to the vertex; situated at the vertex, or highest point; directly overhead, or in the zenith;... Read More
1. The exterior form or appearance of anything; that part which presents itself to the view; especially, the front or... Read More
1. To be punctured; to suffer or feel a sharp pain, as by puncture; as, a sore finger pricks.
2. To spur onward; to... Read More
1. (Science: anatomy) The region back of the knee joint; the popliteal space; the hock.
2. The thigh of any animal;... Read More
1. To spread and stretch the body or limbs carelessly in a horizontal position; to lie with the limbs stretched out... Read More
1. An instrument used in weaving for passing or shooting the thread of the woof from one side of the cloth to the... Read More
1. (Science: zoology) The male of bees, especially. Of the honeybee. It gathers no honey. See honeybee. All with... Read More
To draw, or be drawn, into wrinkles; to shrink, and form corrugations; as, a leaf shriveles in the hot sun; the skin... Read More
1. To pass by a spring or leap; to overleap; as, to jump a stream.
2. To cause to jump; as, he jumped his horse across... Read More