1. (Science: zoology) The adult male of the red deer (Cervus elaphus), a large European species closely related to the American elk, or wapiti. The male of certain other species of large deer.
2. A colt, or filly; also, a romping girl.
3. A castrated bull; called also bull stag, and bull seg.
4. An outside irregular dealer in stocks, who is not a member of the exchange. One who applies for the allotment of shares in new projects, with a view to sell immediately at a premium, and not to hold the stock.
5. (Science: zoology) Stag beetle, any one of several species of large branching corals of the genus madrepora, which somewhat resemble the antlers of the stag, especially Madrepora cervicornis, and M. Palmata, of Florida and the west Indies.
6. (Science: zoology) Stag-horn fern, a parasitic dipterous insect of the family hippoboscidae, which lives upon the stag and in usually wingless. The same species lives also upon the European grouse, but in that case has wings.
Origin: Icel. Steggr the male of several animals; or a doubtful AS. Stagga.