One of the clinically important species of the genus Providencia isolated chiefly from infections of the urinary system and diarrheal stools
P. alcalifaciens is determined from other clinically important Providencia species such as P. stuartii and P. rettgeri through biochemical tests:
- urease test: negative
- phenylalanine deaminate test: positive
- gas from glucose fermentation: different strains give different results
- P. alcalifaciens
- Providencia alcalifaciens Ewing 1962
Compare (with other clinically important Providencia spp.):
- Cheesbrough M. 2006. Microbiological Tests. In: District laboratory practice in tropical countries. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p 189.
- Vasanthakumari R. 2007. Enterobacteriaceae. In: Textbook of Microbiology. New Delhi: BI Publications Pvt Ltd. p 266.