Species of the genus Providencia frequently associated with hospital-acquired infections of the urinary tract, burns and wounds in humans whereas cholera in chicken
P. rettgeri is distinguished from other common Providencia species such as P. alcalifaciens and P. stuartii through biochemical tests:
- urease test: positive (+)
- phenylalanine deaminate test: variable results from different strains
- gas from glucose fermentation: variable results from different strains
- P. rettgeri
- Providencia rettgeri (Hadley 1918) Brenner et al. 1978
Compare (with other clinically important Providencia spp.):
- Providencia alcalifaciens
- Providencia stuartii
- Cheesbrough M. 2006. Microbiological Tests. In: District laboratory practice in tropical countries. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p 189.
- Vasanthakumari R. 2007. Enterobacteriaceae. In: Textbook of Microbiology. New Delhi: BI Publications Pvt Ltd. p 266.