noun, plural: characteristics
(1) A distinguishing quality, trait or feature of an individual, thing, disorder, etc.
(2) A distinctive mark, feature, attribute, or property of an individual or thing.
Being a feature or trait that helps identify an individual, thing, etc.
For instance, a living thing is considered alive when it shows the following general characteristics:
- It is made up of cell(s).
- It is capable of growth and development.
- It obtains energy and utilizes it.
- It can reproduce.
- It responds to its environment.
- It is capable of adapting to its environment.
Word origin: Greek charaktēristikós (to designate, characterize)
Related forms: characteristically (adverb)