A transmembrane ATPase enzyme located in the plasma membrane of animal cells, and functions by pumping... Read More
An hydraulic machine, variously constructed, for raising or transferring fluids, consisting essentially of a moving... Read More
Jet ejector pump
a suction pump in which fluid under high pressure is forced through a nozzle into an abruptly larger tube... Read More
- a kind of protein that is capable of pumping out compounds that could pose a threat to the cell. An example... Read More
A vacuum pump that removes gas by ionizing the atoms or molecules and adsorbing them on a metal surface.A protein... Read More
Carrier protein is a type of cell membrane protein involved in facilitated diffusion and active transport of substances out... Read More
integral membrane proteins that transport protons across a membrane against a concentration gradient. This... Read More
Blood is composed of a liquid, plasma, and blood cells such as erythrocytes (red blood cells,) leukocytes (white... Read More
Active transport is a type of cellular transport in which substances (e.g. ions, glucose, and amino acids) are transported... Read More
Concentration gradient definition
Concentration gradient refers to the gradual change in the concentration of solutes in a... Read More
plural: sarcoplasmic reticula
(cell biology) The special type of smooth endoplasmic reticulum found in... Read More
In biology, transport refers to the act or the means by which a molecule or ion is moved across the cell membrane or via the... Read More
The act or process of sucking; the act of drawing, as fluids, by exhausting the air. Suction chamber, the chamber of... Read More
1. One who, or that which, sucks; especially, one of the organs by which certain animals, as the octopus and remora,... Read More
What is the myocardium of the heart? It is the muscular middle layer of the heart that is... Read More
1. A piece of ground appropriates to the cultivation of herbs, fruits, flowers, or vegetables.
2. A rich,... Read More
1. (Science: zoology) The tusk of an animal, by which the prey is seized and held or torn; a long pointed tooth;... Read More
1. One who takes or receives in any manner.
2. A person appointed, ordinarily by a court, to receive, and hold in... Read More
1. A device, consisting of a pipe or tube bent so as to form two branches or legs of unequal length, by which a... Read More
1. First in order of time; original; primeval; primitive; primary. Prime forests. She was not the prime cause, but I... Read More
To shoot into a long stem, as some plants. See spire.
1. A long, pointed weapon, used in war and hunting, by thrusting... Read More
1. Having much sensible heat; exciting the feeling of warmth in a great degree; very warm; opposed to cold, and... Read More
Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum Definition
Smooth endoplasmic reticulum (sER) is (a part of) endoplasmic reticulum that is... Read More
1. Act of lifting; also, that which is lifted.
2. The space or distance through which anything is lifted; as, a long... Read More
noun, plural: perfusions
(physiology) The act of perfusing, such as the pouring over or through of a fluid by way... Read More
(Science: physics) a glass vessel, varying in size, open at the bottom and closed at the top like a bell, and... Read More
1. (Science: pharmacology) a substance that, when added to a medicine, speeds or improves its action which aids... Read More
Stephen H. Wright
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724... Read More
Muscular ridges that crisscross and project from the inner walls of the heart ventricles.
Their... Read More
(botany) A genus of the family Rhizophoraceae which includes the true mangroves
Rhizophora is a... Read More
noun, plural: aldosterones
A mineralocorticoid with a chemical formula of C21H28O5, and controls salt and water... Read More
Cellular Respiration Definition
The main function of cellular respiration is to break down glucose to form energy. What is... Read More
Independent Variable Definition
To define independent variable, let us first understand what a variable is. The word... Read More
A type of blood circulation in which the system has only one circuit, with the blood being pumped through... Read More
noun, plural: ATP synthases
An enzyme that catalyzes the formation of ATP from the phosphorylation of ADP with... Read More
The contraction of the myocardia of the atria.
In cardiac cycle, the atrial systole pumps the... Read More
The movement of molecules, specifically water and any solutes, is vital to understand in light of plant processes. This will... Read More
Nerve cells called neurons generate electric signals that pass from one end of the cell to another and release chemical... Read More
1. Same as palette.
2. A wooden implement used by potters, crucible makers, etc, for forming, beating, and rounding... Read More